Sunday, January 16, 2011

A temporary new direction for LimeyG

Got some interesting news this week: I have squamous cell carcinoma in my mouth. It's very treatable and has a high cure rate, which is good. The bad, of course, is that treatment is aggressive and sucky: two or three rounds of intense chemo, followed by seven weeks of radiation.

So what do I have to look forward to? Loss of appetite, changes in my palate, zapped tastebuds, zapped salivary glands, a raw tongue and throat.

Yes, there are a ton of other side effects, but whatever. These are the ones that bug me the most; what will life be like if I can't enjoy food?

Well, let's find out. I'm going to keep writing throughout the experience, as much as I can. I want to try and apply the same approach to this period of eating adventures as I do to any other.

If you're willing to stick around and come with me, I'd love the company. If you've been through something similar and have food-related suggestions and tips, please share.

And if you want to take a break, that's also cool. I hope you come back for the post where I describe being able to taste things again (I'm looking forward to that one!).

I start treatment on Tuesday, so we'll begin with a dissection (!) of hospital food.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

GOOD LUCK! I hope everything goes better than perfectly!

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Cindi said...

Wow! I am so glad to hear that the outcome looks pretty positive, although I'm sorry you will have to go through all that. Of all the people! Will be pulling for you. . . C.

7:12 PM  
Blogger adele said...

Yikes.

Here's hoping you have minimal side effects and a smooth recovery. Sending good thoughts your way.

7:23 PM  
Blogger rsaltus said...

A rather dire way of avoiding more Web site work, Grantham! Michael Douglas appears to be doing fine, and he's an old alcoholic fart. We will be with you in any mode you wish, up and down, through and through.
Love and healing thoughts...
richard

8:37 PM  
Blogger Lexi Hutter said...

Sending good thoughts your way. If you need anything just name it. The upside is you get out of work for a while :)
-Cindy

9:48 AM  
Anonymous jo said...

Wishing you well on your journey and looking forward to hearing what you have to say about how it is on 'the other side'.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will be checking for new posts every day CG. Sending out prayers of love & healing just for you. ;)

And I can't wait to see what you write about the hospital food. ;)

Kamira

1:39 PM  
Anonymous mt_space said...

Awwww G! Shocked to hear this news. What's with the irony? As one of your first followers and a battle-scared vet from the old days, will continue to follow you - not so much about the food as to delight in your way with words. Use this down time to be prolific! -mt

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Carmen said...

Good luck! And I'll totally keep reading of course. I want to hear all about this fabled hospital food!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Meredith Elkins said...

CG - Just heard the news. Am keeping good, positive thoughts for you! Hurry and get well! Meredith

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear, Carolyn! We miss you around here. It's weird not to see your coat and fur hat hanging up. Take care, rest up, read some good books,and keep writing.
Your pal and fan, Chris

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Carolyn, I just caught this. Keep up the excellent attitude and don't let the hospital food get you down! :-)

Sending healing vibes your way,
Jen

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just got back from vacay and Yawkey events craziness and heard the news. Thinking of you!! Please let me know if you need anything at all!! That includes martinis at Eastern Standard as soon as you're up for it :)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Rosemary said...

Hi Carolyn!
I'm sending positive healing vibes your way. Keep the faith and know we're all thinking of you. Thanks for sharing your journey - wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Saul Wisnia said...

I know you said you're always looking for good patient stories, but you didn't have to go to this extreme. Best of luck in your treatment; good point Saltus has about Michael Douglas. This should be easy for a tough Brit like you. I'll be thinking of you. - Saul

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home