Sunday, December 06, 2009

Now THIS is a chicken pot pie

Last time, I wrote about the bland, gluey disappointment that is a Harrow's chicken pie. But I realized I had to put up or shut up, lest I seem like a hater.

So last night I made chicken pot pie from scratch. Went like this:

Chicken stock (okay, that part was pre-made) in a pan with black peppercorns, bay leaves, fresh sage, thyme, oregano.



In goes the chicken breast, which poaches for about 20 minutes.



The breasts come out, and in go diced carrots and celery, plus white boiling onions, for five-ish minutes. And then they come out too.



And the chicken is shredded.



And then a roux sauce, which I love because it begins with melted butter.



The stock is strained and used to make the roux.



And then the chook and the veggies go into the sauce, along with fresh rosemary and frozen peas.



Pastry time.

Full disclosure: I had completely intended to use the
Good Wives puff pastry I'd picked up the week before. But while rootling around in the back of the freezer, I found something labeled "Be-Ro ruff puff, 12-21-08." Which left me with two questions:

1) Is year-old frozen pastry still good?

2) Why do I have absolutely no recollection of making pastry a year ago??

Obviously I'd used the time-honored recipe from North-East England's premiere
flour distributor; I just had no memory of doing so.

Anyway, it defrosted well and was perfectly pliable. And so there was pie. Into a 350-degree C oven for 25 minutes.

See, Harrow's, when I say "chicken pot pie,"
this is what I mean:





Any questions?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger megabrooke said...

mmm, now THIS looks good.

(please disregard my comment on the previous post, which i obviously just wrote based on the yummy looking pictures, and not your bad review of it! ill blame google reader this time.)

1:39 PM  
Blogger AlizaEss said...

Haha, love the photo comparison to Harrows! That pie is super inspiring. Mmm, perfect winter post.

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Slow Donnie said...

Yeah? Well when I say "chicken pot pie" this is what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykr98od6Wi8

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Slow Donnie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

Looks delish! Could you please open a pot pie shop on route 38 so I can stop on my way home and buy your wares?

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home