Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I know who moved my cheese

Didn't I say this would happpen? (And by "this," I mean WholeFoods would wait until I was addicted to Seaside Cheddar and then take it off the shelves?)

This weekend, on our grocery hunt, I blithely strolled into the cheez dept to score my fix.

But.

I.

Couldn't.

Find.

It.

I peered behind Piave, looked under Limburger, searched by the Stilton. Nothing.

So I asked the cheeseguy, who gave me a sympathetic look and said, "Yeah ... I'm not sure whether we'll be carrying it any more."

What??

Apparently, the cost went up; instead of being sold to the store by the pound, it was now being sold per piece, and the price difference was going to be too great to be worth it.

And then I learned something interesting about WholeFoods's business model: according to cheeseguy, each store orders its stuff separately.

So rather than all Boston-area stores getting together and putting in a bulk order for Seaside Cheddar, it seems, the orders trickle in from individual branches. So much for buying power.

This does mean, of course, there's still reason for optimism: just because one branch of WholeFoods is no longer able to feed my addiction, it doesn't mean I can't score elsewhere.

Anyway, I suspect Seaside Cheddar is a gateway cheese. If I can't find more, I'll be forced to move on to the hard stuff (like a salty-sweet, butterscotchy aged Gouda).

Aaaahm ... waitin' for my (cheese) maaaaan ...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

LimeyG...I bought the English Seaside cheddar on a whim last week. It was fantastic. I loved the bits of salty crystal undoubtedly from the sea. I went back yesterday and it was gone. I too asked the cheese person at the Whole Foods in Newton about it. She didn't know if they would get anymore so don't go there. If you find it anywhere please let me know. I ended up buying gouda instead. Ho Hum

luckygreenjade

11:20 AM  
Blogger LimeyG said...

It's possible my hysteria was unnecessary: I've since found it in both the Cambridge River Street and Alewife branches, so maybe the crisis is averted.

At the same time, do you think the staff at WholeFoods need to be kept up to date on what they're selling?

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home