Thursday, September 30, 2010

Brunch at 5 Corners Kitchen

After our amazing wolf experience, we were ravenous. And all the talk of meat (and discovery of various bones cleaned dry of marrow) had left us wanting to indulge, carnivore-style.

So we went to Marblehead for brunch.

Okay, more specifically, we headed to
5 Corners Kitchen, where Trevor does genius things with sausage and bacon (and, frankly, everything else he touches).

We'd had
dinner at 5 Corners Kitchen when it first opened, and had been looking for a reason to return.

When we arrived, Trevor was handing out samples of housemade sausage with lentils and mustard to passers-by. It was only a taste, but it was enough to remind me how good this place is.

First, brunchy drinks: mimosa for me, bloody Mary for The Boy. His celery garnish was noticeably fresher and crunchier than the supermarket variety.

And then, before we could order, Trevor appeared with plates of smoked salmon topped with boiled egg, capers, crème fraiche and red onion.



I was going to order something good and meaty — and then I noticed the brioche french toast. So that was me sorted.



The toast was like bread pudding, rich and eggy. The blueberries were warm and fragrant and summery.

The Boy stayed true to meat, and ordered the classic breakfast: sausage, eggs, homefries, toast.



Oh, the sausage. Like nothing else.



And an unexpected side of crisp, delicate bacon. Homemade, of course.



And then, another surprise. A densely fruited tarte tatin with crème fraiche and caramel, flecked with fresh thyme.

"I know you want to hold on to summer," said Trevor, "but here's something to lead you into fall."



If there was ever a way to make the transition, this was it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous dining table said...

I miss the sausages. It has been a long time since I am frying my sausages at home.

3:12 AM  
Anonymous David Garcia, Hong Kong said...

Your food blog makes me hungry. Good thing, lunch is just around the corner while I'm reading your entry.

Just passing through.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home