Epilogue (from The Boy)
As many of you have learned, LimeyG passed away peacefully last April 8. I consider myself lucky to have shared eighteen wonderful years with her. She was simply amazing.
The following Sunday, April 13, we held a memorial ceremony to celebrate her life. Her friends and family told many poignant yet funny stories, we listened to music she loved (including the Pixies, Adam Ant and Celia Cruz) and finished by toasting her with champagne. It was as fitting a celebration of her life-affirming spirit as we could hope to produce.
I have found comfort in reading some of the earlier posts on this blog. I would encourage you to do the same. Carolyn spent a lot of time getting the writing and photos to her liking. We are lucky she devoted such care to this blog, for it perfectly captures her essence. To get you started, here are some suggestions:
- A three-hour lunch at Club Allard in Madrid, likely our best meal together;
- Duck in a can in Montreal, which was read at the memorial ceremony;
- A trip to York, featuring sausage buns, tea shops and sloe gin;
- Lunch in Guavate in Puerto Rico, featuring pork and lots of it;
- A wolf encounter in Ipswich, a reminder she had other interests beside food.
In lieu of flowers, Carolyn has asked that you go have an excellent glass of champagne; tell your family how much you love them; buy yourself a book you've been meaning to read; do one nice, small thing for a stranger.
Labels: Carolyn Grantham