Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Cupcakory is on a roll

Though I was aware that Boston now has food trucks, somehow I hadn't really investigated. This is partly because there didn't seem to be much truckular action near my office near Fenway (as opposed to, say, the Back Bay, where there are already a squillion places to eat).

Okay, there are restaurants near me as well; they're just of the red-meat-and-fried-everything-and-beer-and-multiple-flat-screen-TVs variety.

And yes, I could spend my lunch half-hour running to Copley or the CS Plaza and back, but that seems to defeat the principle. They're food trucks. With wheels. You don't go to them; they come to you.

Soooanyway, when I checked the City of Boston food truck map one day and realized the Cupcakory truck was going to be parked around the corner that afternoon, I became a little too excited.

I enlisted Eric to come with. Someone had to carry the cakes back.

We found the (adorable) truck on Comm Ave.

Cupcakory truck

There was a little display window with that day's selection.

Cupcakory truck

A lot of tempting flavors! We couldn't decide between raspberry-lemon, salted caramel, lemon-blueberry, and double dark chocolate. Luckily, this was not a "choose one" situation.

Cupcakory cupcakes

Okay, I'll just say it: These are fantastic cupcakes. The sponge is light and airy. The flavors are well defined and nicely balanced, especially in the delicate lemon cake and the fabulous pairing of dark chocolate, caramel and exactly enough salt.

And the frosting ... oh baby, the frosting ...

Cupcakory cupcake

Do you see the air pockets in the above shot? Or here?

Cupcakory cupcake

Some cupcakes have a dense, thick frosting that sticks to the roof of the mouth and makes your teeth ache. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for.

But Cupcakory's frosting seems whipped, almost fluffy, not too sweet and yet still substantial. They're cupcakes for grown-ups; they fulfill the need for a sweet treat without assuming that if you're eating cupcakes, you expect to be transported back to sugar-laden childhood.

And just to prove that they were not too rich, I devoured two of them in quick succession. Which is not something I do very often.

It's good to be a grown-up.

Cupcakory cupcake

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home