Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My first act as a US citizen

Was to pee. Actually, not true; my first act was to call No.9 Park, where we had a lunch reservation (originally for 1pm, rescheduled for 2), to ask if we could possibly arrive a little later, as it was 1:50 and we were just leaving Lowell.

We made good time back to the city, and The Boy once again dropped me off so he could park the car while I made sure we still had a table, as they stopped serving lunch at 2:30.

No.9 Park is known as one of Boston's best. The Boy had been once before, for a business dinner, but somehow we hadn't managed to get there together. Citizenship Day seemed like a great excuse.

While I was waiting for him to arrive, I ordered a half-bottle of Bollinger and a dozen oysters. Hey, it's not every day one assumes a new nationality.

The Boy made it to the table at the same time as the champagne. The oysters had just arrived that morning, fresh and tender, and came with a raw garlic salsa that provided a bright contrast. And then The Boy had house-made pappardelle with a creamy bolognese and a glass of Bordeaux, and I had bacon-wrapped monkfish and a Pinot Noir.

Dessert was a slice of Fleur de Marie cake, dense and eggy, with a ras-el-hanout ice-cream. We use the ras a lot at home; it's a blend of cardamom, allspice, cloves, turmeric and cinnamon,
among other things. It goes well with lamb, especially done on the grill, so we were curious to see how it would work as dessert.

It was fabulous. Haagen-Dazs should start making it. I volunteer myself as tester.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home