Sunday, October 01, 2006

Noise, fire, shopping

First of all, a shameless plug for my coworker Ethan Joy's new song, Sucker. He spends a lot of time putting a new track together, hunting down musicians to play various parts (many of which he writes on acoustic guitar and has them transpose) and fitting in late-night studio sessions. He's a bit of a perfectionist, which in music is a good thing. This one is a nice slice of power pop!

In other work-related news, I am now designated Fire Safety Floor Inspector for my department. Which means, essentially, that in the event of a fire (or, one assumes, earthquake, flood, zombie attack or The Reckoning), my job is to make sure everyone vacates the floor. So not only do I get to go around being bossy, but also it is my official duty to check all the restrooms. Which may or may not be a good thing.

I have a training session next week. I assume that's when they hand out the shiny badges and megaphones.

Yesterday I went to the Wrentham outlets with my friend Jean. I hadn't seen her in a while, so it was nice to hang out for a few hours and catch up. We were there longer than anticipated (including the time it took to get lunch, it was practically a full workday) but at least we got most of the serious shopping done before the hoards arrived. I discovered that I now take a size 4--surprising, as this time last year I was in the 6 to 8 range--and so celebrated with a pair of charcoal-gray work pants. And a crisp white Banana Republic shirt that I suspect will get a lot of use.

Also discovered there's now a White House/Black Market outlet, but as usual it was disappointing. In theory, that should be My Store (as my wardrobe is largely monochrome) but their styles lean toward the loose/drapey/hippy look, rather than the tailored/fitted/clingy motif I prefer. I did try on one very cute camisole (white with black lace trim and black flowers twisting up the front) but sticker-shock and shopping fatigue were wearing me down, so I passed. I suspect it might have been a rat-shirt moment. At least Wrentham isn't as far as New York.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home